I have decided today, that nanowrimo is no more. It’s been a great ride, the last 4 years, however I’ve been able to see it’s warts whilst benefiting from it’s strength. Currently, my warts need removing.
The strength of nano, has given me:
- momentum (albeit for a month),
- speedy fingers,
- silencing my inner editor,
- a focus on content,
- optimism for the future as a writer.
The weaknesses of nano are:
- the focus on quantity not quality,
- the absence of commentary on progress,
- lack of structure, planning & editing,
- operating in a silo (I failed to get to the nano meet-ups)
- whittling a good idea
- completion of writing from beginning to end