I want to write up a full ‘mission’ for this site, which involves documenting my working process and the things I intend to systematically repeat for future stories and books. I am learning so much, so quickly, that I fear if I don’t write it all down, then I will lose it.
So far my process works this way (much of which I spoke of on this post)
- Come up with a cool idea skateboarders will like. (Inciting Incident/Climax)
- Think up all the progressively terrible, wrong ways they could go to reach that ‘idea’. (Complications & Crisis)
- Take one of those above points (eg: Inciting Incident) and write an Inciting Incident, complication, crisis, climax, and resolution for it.
- Do that again for the 4 other main points (Complication, Crisis, Climax, Resolution).
- At the end of this process I could have at least 25 points. (5 additional points for each of my 5 original points – still with me?)
- Then, tell (don’t show with fancy fiction narrative voice) what happens in each scene. Literally list every specific detail which must happen in order to move from the beginning to the end of the section (chapter/scene whatever). Do that for each of the 25 points. Once complete the story framework will be all there.
- Next I added minimum 500 word target for each point, and then write, write, write!
That’s what did to get to 22k within 3 weeks. With that done, I have something to play with and build on.
I’m happy with that speed. It means I can realistically produce three novellas this year and be on track for my goal of receiving payment royalties from Jan 2017. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this, so I’ll make a note to blog about this another time.